Monday 11 January 2016

2015 Beauty & Makeup Favourites

2015 was a crazy year for me, I finally passed my driving test, got my first job, started my Level 3 Diploma in media makeup and was given the amazing experience to assist celebrity makeup artist, Armand Beasley on two massive photoshoots including Natasha Hamilton's engagement OK magazine front cover shoot... no I still can't believe it either! What a year!
In this post I will be talking about the best makeup/ beauty products that I discovered and fell in love with during 2015, let's get started! ...



The Balm, Mary-Lou Manizer
2015 was the year that super highlighted cheekbones and iridescent glowing skin really took off leaving everybody searching for that perfect highlighter.
The Balm is a brand that I had not heard of before 2015 when their products launched on Feel Unique and were available in some Superdrug stores.Their products will catch your eye in their funky vintage packaging and although they aren't as cheap as chips, they are a more affordable luxury brand.
The Mary-Lou Manizer is a champagne finely milled powder highlight that I cannot fault. It works on all different skin tones and I absolutely love it. Mary Lou is always my go to highlighter and I am sure I will continue to love it throughout 2016.




Nars Sheer Glow Foundation
Nars is a brand that I had never dwelled into up until the final months of 2015.Sheer Glow foundation is a highly rated best seller and after trying it for myself, I definitely agree with the hype.
This foundation gives a medium coverage with a natural and luminous finish. I like how it applies and never looks cakey even with a few coats layered to give a higher coverage.
I cannot fault this foundation and it has been the one that I have reached for the most in the past year.



Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge
I was always very sceptical about using a sponge to apply my foundation however I can now say that I am completely converted to the method which makes my foundation apply and blend like a dream.... seriously, if you've not tried one yet you must!
The Real Techniques Miracle Completion sponge is best used damp and it should expand to double its size compared to when it's fully dry. Apart from being a fantastic way to apply flawless foundation, I also love to use my sponge to blend cream contour and concealer underneath the eyes.




Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip Brow Pomade
I think that is fair to say that I am obsessed with my eyebrows- I spend the most time filling them in whilst doing my makeup and I struggle to leave the house with them on! :')
Last year I started using the Anastasia Beverly Hills Dip brow pomade and I fell in love with it, my brows have never looked so good (even if I do say so myself!)
I find that this pomade is extremely easy to use and the product lasts all day on my brows without needing a setting gel , unlike when I used to use a powder and had to use an extra brow gel to keep them in place.
I also love to keep these brow pomade's in my kit and I use the shades medium brown and blonde which work for both lighter and darker hairs.




Collection Sheer Loose Powder
There is nothing worse than an awful powdery 'caked' face which can easily be achieved by mistake when using a thick full coverage powder. I hate the way powder sometimes makes the face look but I also know that using powder is essential to set makeup and keep oil at bay.
This loose powder from Collection is my favourite powder to lock makeup down and mattify without giving a powdery finish. It never interferes with my foundation choice so I always like to keep it in my kit as a versatile product to use on everybody.
It also only costs me £2.99 for this huge tub which I know will last me a long time (a small amount goes a long way!) so I could not recommend it enough.




Lush Skincare
Taking care of my skin is very important and I always like to pay special attention to what goes on my face, especially since I use so much makeup which can sometimes interfere with my skin.
I had never used Lush skincare before 2015 but now I am hooked, I love their quirky ideas and I know that all of their products will do only good to my skin with their natural ingredients.
A few of my favourite skincare picks from Lush include their mask of magmaminty face mask, let the good times roll cleanser and the ultra bland facial cleanser.
Lush also have a deal that if you return 5 empty black empty pots like the ones in my picture below, you will receive a free fresh face mask of your choice .... I am almost ready to do this myself, do you have any suggestions of what face mask I should get? Let me know in the comments below this post!



MAC Lipstick, Heroine
I love to wear bold and daring lipstick colours and my most used and extremely well loved lipstick from 2015 is MAC's Heroine. Heroine is a matte bright cool toned purple shade which I love to wear along with simple eye makeup to give a statement look.
In 2015 I also decided to de pot all of my MAC lipsticks into an empty pallet which is ideal for me being a makeup artist as it takes up less room in my kit and is easy to hygienically apply the lipstick onto clients. Stay tuned to my blog as I will have a full MAC lipstick and lip liner collection coming very soon.



MAC Fix+
You may think that Fix+ is just fancy water in a bottle with a slightly large price tag and yes I thought that too before I tried it but I have found so many uses for it and I definitely now understand the hype. I use Fix+ to prime skin before makeup, to set makeup and to use on my brush when using loose pigments or glitter. It may sound like a princess product but I did reach for it a lot in 2015 and I will definitely re-purchase it when I run out.



Urban Decay Naked Pallets
Last year I brought my first ever Urban Decay pallet which was the Naked 2 and shortly after I couldn't stop myself from buying almost all of their other pallets! The quality of these eyeshadows are like no other, the colour range is beautiful and they have the best pigmentation that I have ever tired. They beat my other high end eyeshadows including MAC and they have been my most used pallets of the year. I find it hard to pick just one pallet that I love more than the others however I would recommend the original if you want more warm toned brown shades, Naked 2 for more cool taupe shades and finally the Smoky for a beautiful mixture of matte and shimmer shades to suit everyone.
To read more about the Naked pallets, click here to read my review blog post.



MyKitCo
2015 was the year that MyKitCo launched; they are an upcoming brand selling makeup brushes and accessories suited to professional makeup artists. I was lucky enough to be invited to the launch night of MyKitCo back in November last year and I have been blown away with the quality and range that they have on offer. If you would like to read more about the brand and the launch night , click here to read my post with more information.
Overall, I am extremely impressed with the collection from MyKitCo and I cannot wait to see what more is to come from them in 2016- definetly a brand to watch out for!



Soap & Glory SuperCat Eyeliner
"When in doubt, wing it out"
Last year was the year that I finally mastered eyeliner ... or at least got the hang of it, I'm still no pro!
Soap & Glory's Super-Cat eyeliner is by far the best liner pen that I have used. Its jet black formula applies smoothly, has great lasting powder and doesn't dry out quickly, what's not to love?
I love to use gel liners that come in a small pot when I am working on clients however I find it much more convenient to use a pen formula on myself and I have yet to find one that beats this.


These were my beauty and makeup favourites from 2015, what were yours? Do we have any in common? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment