Saturday 19 April 2014

How I Wash My Make Up Brushes

It comes to that time of the month where my make up brushes need a deep clean. Today I thought I’d show you how I do this to make sure my brushes are squeaky clean!

It is essential to wash your make up brushes regularly; I've known people with brushes which have not been washed in years!!!! Bacteria sticks to your brushes each time you use them on your face which can lead to a very spotty face.  It is especially important to wash your brushes if you suffer from bad skin or acne.


I tend to spot clean my brushes about once a week with a brush cleanser (I like the MAC one) which is a quick clean. Although once a month I deep clean my brushes with olive oil and shampoo to make sure they are thoroughly cleaned; which is what I am going to explain to you now J



  
To start off; I get some olive oil in a small bowl and soak my brush in the oil. I’m using olive oil because many make up products are oil based and using an oil to wash the product off makes it easier.  I’ll then take the brush out of the oil and lay it on a piece of kitchen paper for about a minute. Now I squeeze the oil off the brush over a sink and rinse it with water.





I then get a gentle shampoo; baby shampoo or any shampoo without harsh perfumes in would be great. I put a small amount of the shampoo onto the palm of my hand and gently swirl the bristles of the brush around my hand to lather up the product.

I squeeze out the excess shampoo from the brush and rinse it in the water until there’s no more shampoo on the bristles.





Once you've washed all your brushes it’s important that you let them dry either laying flat or upside down (with the bristles facing down). DO NOT leave the brushes to dry with the bristles facing upwards because you don’t want the water or excess shampoo to drip into the brush handle as this could lead the bristles falling out.




I hope that this post has helped you! Thank you for reading 

1 comment:

  1. I've heard about using olive oil first to clean brushes, I need to give this a go! Great review :)

    Abby | Beauty and a Blogger

    ReplyDelete